Thursday, April 2, 2009

Working On A Dream

Have you ever had a dream? I mean the kind of dream that never goes out of your mind, the kind that keeps your mind churning each and every day, trying to figure out how you are going to make it come true?

My dream is of building a little cabin in the Ozark mountains. I have been thinking about it almost my entire life!

In 2003 I finally found the spot I wanted to build on, saved my money and began purchasing the land. It took me a couple of years to pay it off. I'm on a limited income, so I began selling my vintage jewelry to finance my dream. Once it was paid off, I had to begin saving again.

It took me nearly two years to save enough money to have a septic tank installed. Next came a well, then electricity...and then it sat waiting for me.

Frantically I saved every penny I earned from my jewelry and bead work sales and finally had enough money to begin construction. My son agreed to do the work for me. Last spring we set off for the mountains to lay our foundation. Just our luck, it rained nearly every day! We came home and waited and saved some more. By then I had money to begin on the frame. One board at a time, we gradually had the walls up. The roof came next. The rain nearly made it impossible for us to get the cabin enclosed but with patience, we managed to get it covered and a few windows in.
With the last bit of money I had, we bought electric wire to run inside of the cabin, and a few rolls of insulation...

Well, here I am...waiting and saving ...to go back and work on my dream again! I've been beading all winter...and now I'm blogging.

Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures of my progress soon so that you can see what I'm trying to do.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment